My collection ‘OFF GRID’ is concerned with opting out of society’s rules and expectations. Going ‘OFF GRID’ frees the mind and opens new creative possibilities this is expressed in fashion terms by the breaking of fashion ‘rules’, and the refusal to follow mainstream trends.
Off White / Off Grid
Imagining a design collaboration with an established brand whose aesthetic differs from my own, I chose Virgil Abloh’s OFF-WHITE to inform my mini collection.
The DNA of Helmut Lang
The result of a design task to immortalise the brand image of Helmut Lang in a day. Inspiration came from social media discussions about the brand’s ethos, image and history; these digital snapshots of our team discussions became the basis of the fabric print used in the shirt.
Seven Store Design
Liverpool was built upon a network of just seven streets a direct link to the famous port of Liverpool. These seven streets became the backbone for what Liverpool is today. SEVEN was founded as a celebration of those streets and of what makes Liverpool what it is today.
Who is Jess?
Jessica Semple is a womenswear designer who repeatedly questions the traditional nature of fashion to see a piece of clothing not as it is labelled but to use it as a tool to create a feeling and emotion; changing peoples perspectives, to reimagine the ways in which we see fashion and beyond. Her inspiration is born from asking herself sometimes difficult questions; bringing back stored snippets of often disconnected images and ideas to create shapes, silhouettes and garment construction that is taken from already existing clothing. Using second hand clothing as a starting point, inspiring her design process, as she believes if something beautiful already exists why would you not rework it and reuse it to recreate something entirely new. Working straight onto the stand allows Jessica to experiment with unusual proportions and to understand her design from a 360° point of view. Her designs have a fine art illustrative sense to them. Colour is not something Jessica is afraid to play around with, it is often used to balance and in places highlight her irregular compositions. She uses solid colours from unconventional fabrics then manipulates them to form original textures.
Mobile: +44 7838 623 439
Address: 9 Furlong Close, Alrewas, Burton-on-Trent DE13 7EF
A versatile fashion graduate, adept at illustration with a strong awareness of sustainable fashion seeking a career in womenswear design.
2016 – 2019 Liverpool John Moores University BA Hons Fashion Design – First Class
– My 3 year course provided me with a multitude of practical design skills such as pattern cutting, CAD and garment construction. It also allowed me to research and explore creative possibilities from historical influences to cutting edge sustainable techniques.
2014 – 2016 Birmingham Metropolitan college (Sutton) Theatrical Design – Distinction
– During this 2 year course I specialised in costume design, this introduced me to a fresh perspective on my design aesthetic as well as innovative design processes.
2008 – 2013 John Taylor Academy
– GCSEs: 8 (1 A, 3 Bs, 4 Cs) Including Art and Design (A), English and Maths.
- University of Cambridge Charity Fashion Show @cucfs, showcasing my collection at their 2020 sustainable catwalk in aid of the charity Client earth. -opportunity discuss and showcase my work to other creatives.
- Opened LJMU Show at Graduate Fashion week with final sustainable collection.
– provided experience of a professional runway show, portfolio presentation and styling.
- Pieces were featured in UNFOLD magazine.
– Experience of a professional photoshoot and photography.
- Design furniture collection for SEVEN STORE, Liverpool.
– opportunity to expand design consideration outside of clothing.
- Created pieces from recycled materials and used 3D printed components within my collection.
– experiences of using progressive and forward thinking materials.
- 2018 (May- Sept) Sales Advisor Nero e Bianco – Clothing Boutique.
– Knowledge of sales, social media promotion and advertising, alongside working with clients to accentuate their personal style.
- 2014 – 17 Wedding dress Outlet – Sales advisor
– working with a diverse range of clients , adapting and tailoring their bridal experience. This also helped develop my ability to provide styling across a broad spectrum of creative proposals.
- 2012 Work experience at Walt Disney, UK Head office, Hammersmith, London – Product design.
– An initiation to all aspects to digital design, including Adobe Suite, presentation skills and a dynamic design environment.
- 2019 – Present The Crown , Alrewas, Bar Staff
– Excellent customer service skills in a busy atmosphere.
- 2013 – 14 Arty Bargy, Art classes, Alrewas.
– Teaching school age children art and design skills.
- Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award
– Teamwork and resilience as well as voluntary work.
- IT Skills
– Confident in Microsoft 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
- Hand Illustration
- Pattern cutting
- Garment construction
- Strong knowledge of fashion history
- Independent research and analysis
- Confident prevention ability
- Excellent communication
References available on request.